July 30th, 2013  |  Filed under Afield in the World, The Ten Principles

The Morris Hotel: The First Burner Hotel in the World

July 30th, 2013  |  Filed under Afield in the World, The Ten Principles
Jungle Jim in front of the Morris Hotel (YouTube screen capture)

Jungle Jim in front of the Morris Hotel (YouTube screen capture)

If you’d like to see Burning Man’s 10 Principles in action in the real world, just head down to 4th Street in Reno, and have a look at the Morris Hotel. Recently purchased by Jim Gibson (aka Jungle Jim on the playa), The Morris will be the first Burner hotel in the world.

Communal effort, radical inclusion, radical self-expression, gifting, civic responsibility, participation, leave no trace, immediacy — they’re all here in spades, and in a way that makes for an inspiring alchemy.

The hotel boasts 43 rooms, each of which will be designed and decorated by Burner artists. There’s a back lot for fire performers to practice and hone their craft. There are hopes of establishing a community garden to support the local homeless population. And of course, as happens with Burners, there are a slew of other ideas percolating. While the hotel is technically open right now (and will be hosting a small number of international Burning Man artists before this year’s Burn), Jim hopes to have it all spit-and-polished by the end of the year.

They have a long way to go, but Jim sure seems like the kind of guy — together with the incredible Reno community — to make it happen. Jim says he’s fallen in love with Reno and its artists, and we suspect that love will not go unrequited. We’re excited to see how this experiment unfolds.

Here’s a video from Ky Plaskon, where Jim talks about his vision for the Morris Hotel:

If you’d like to get involved, head over to the Morris Burner Hotel Project group on Facebook. We’ll post more as we hear about it.

16 Responses to “The Morris Hotel: The First Burner Hotel in the World”

1. The Hun Says:

Excited to see how this will go. Kudos to everybody involved!!!

2. Trilo Byte Says:

Awesome news!

3. Redrooster Says:

This project is going to be “yet another game-changer” on the Reno/Sparks burner scene! Thank you Jungle Jim for your vision and for sharing it with our burner friends from around the globe! I’m proud to be your friend…

4. jungle jim Says:

This thing is really happening and I am so honored and excited to be a part of it. The burning man cultire has become such an important part of our lives, it is my hope that this place will be yet another example of how this community is changing the world, one little step at a time. YES! Peace. JJ.

5. Shpilkus Says:

The name Morris Hotel means nothing to the burner community. It may be a perfect time to change the name to something that has a legacy. “The Larry Hotel”. “Black Rock City Hotel”. “Highway 447 Inn”. “Hotel 447″.

The housekeepers can run the vacuums in reverse and dust up the rooms daily.

It’s great to see this dream taking shape in Reno. It looks like it’s the starts of lots of exciting things to come.

Congrats JJ!

6. Franko Says:

as a local, i have long loved that hotel and i’m thrilled something positive is happening to the building. my two concerns were for the current residents of the hotel (i don’t want them to be displaced out of home some have had for many years), and for the homeless in the area (i don’t want them forced out of sight somewhere to please some aesthetic — and i’m glad to hear there are plans to assist them with a community garden. that’s the burner way!). well done, and i look forward to this project growing and helping to change 4th street.

7. ConChristi Says:

Jim- I love this idea and the actions you’ve taken! I’m committed to making a trip to see your hotel and maybe lend some horticultural experience to your gardens. Best wishes, CC

8. Playa Nai`a Says:

This is boss! The start of a wave, for sure! I wanna stay there before the Burn; coming all the way from Maui with my Burgin braddah. Wanna book now!!! <3

9. Perfect Pancake Commercial Says:

For instance, pear shaped bean bags are bigger and provide more back support.
    This recipe works well with cherry pie filling or Blue Berry Pie filling.

Many tourists will want to experience the outdoor offerings in this location.

10. Pocket Hose Reviews Says:

As the nation’s top agricultural producer and exporter, it is no wonder that California has a big demand for water. The star of Young Frankenstein, Tootsie, and numerous other movies tells her story of her rise from a dancer on Elvis movies to a big-name actress to late motherhood and the onset of multiple sclerosis. Anyone who has before already been faced leaving an intoxication related file corruption say too example an all in one DUI and DWI are going to consult going to be the informed searching Houston DWI lawyers to understand more about assist them to explore allowing an individual their scenario.

11. Vimax Detox Reviews Says:

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive
    a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad
    is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic
    but I had to share it with someone!

12. dragnet Says:

plates 2011 blackrock playa youtube — view it

jim good job, i may have something you would be interested in – my project!

it was out there in 11, goto art installations, i had all 50 states decorated with items representing that state…..my fifth project out on the perimeter fence….

it might make a great touch spread them around, actual pieces that have actually graced the playa, and a bit dudty still i bet…..if interested let me know….dont think u have wall space but all 50 in one spot! interesting….

first year was ’97 before street names and 65000 people…..blinkingman camp,
    phenceart…………good job i hope it works out well for you and the lucky guests!
    dragnet

13. dAVE Says:

Jungle Jim, this is truly inspiring. Thanks for changing the world in this beautiful way.

Our bEES would love to come up and visit this winter!!!

14. Sheyanah Says:

Wonderful! I would move from Iowa to Reno to work for this hotel. Seriously. My husband & I have over 10 years hotel experience and friendly Midwestern hospitality. Jungle Jim message me please!

15. Maxim Veksler Says:

Start of an empire! :^)

16. Jess B. Says:

I am into old hotlels of which there are many being reconfigured for fun modern times. Twelve dollars a night is kind. I hope it turns out classy, comfortable and welcoming to all. I didn’t quite catch if the local homeless population was living n the hotel which would not make them homeless unless they are squatting. Apparently they can afford something. They are poor like many other people, even burners. How about a human hotel?