Burning Man 2013 Ticket Sales

Yeah, it’s like that …

We’re excited to announce the sales plan for tickets to Burning Man 2013. Burning Man is making 58,000 tickets available, 3,000 of which were already made available through the Holiday Sale. Details regarding the remaining 55,0000 are outlined below. You’ll notice we’re doing things differently this year. We’ve listened, we’ve learned a lot and we’ve worked hard to come up with a plan that we believe will meet the needs of the greatest number of people possible.

We’ve included the general gist below, but you can find all the nitty-gritty details on tickets.burningman.com, and answers to your questions in our Ticketing FAQ and spiffy new online ticketing forum.

PLEASE NOTE: Pre-registration is required in order to gain access to any of our sales for 2013. Once you’ve registered you will be able to participate in the first-come first-served sales. So … here’s the plan:

55,000 Tickets for Burning Man 2013 will be sold as follows (details below):

1. Directed Group Sale (10,000 tickets) – January 30 (Pre-registration required)
2. Individual Sale (40,000 tickets) – February 13 (Pre-registration required, February 6-10)
3. Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) – February 28-July 31
4. OMG Last Chance Sale (1000+ tickets) – August 7 (Pre-registration required, August 2-5)
5. Low Income Ticket Program (4,000 tickets) – Application required

=====================================

Directed Group Sale: 10,000 tickets
We are once again taking steps to ensure critical theme camp, art installation, and mutant vehicle crews gain access to tickets. In addition to supporting the core social infrastructure of Black Rock City, providing these groups with access to tickets early on will decrease demand (and therefore competition) for tickets in the main Individual Sale. 10,000 tickets at $380 each will be offered to these core crews on Wednesday, January 30. Group leaders will receive an email on Friday, January 11, 2013 with detailed information about how to provide their core group members with access to the Directed Group Sale. These tickets are transferable and eligible for STEP.

Individual Sale: 40,000 tickets
The Individual sale will make 40,000 tickets available at $380 each, with a maximum of 2 tickets per person. To participate in the Individual Sale, you must pre-register between Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 12pm (noon) PST and Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 12pm (noon) PST. Detailed information about how to register for this sale will be available in mid-January at http://tickets.burningman.com. This first-come first-served sale begins at 12pm (noon) PST on Wednesday, February 13th. These tickets are transferable and eligible for STEP.

NOTE: There will not be tiered pricing for this sale – all 40,000 tickets are $380. (If you’re curious about how this compares with the ticket prices for major festivals, please see “Where Does My Ticket Money Go?“.)

Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP)
We’re bringing back STEP to facilitate the secure, safe, hassle-free exchange of tickets. People wishing to purchase tickets may register to enter the STEP queue starting Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 12pm PST at http://tickets.burningman.com. When tickets are put into STEP by ticket holders, the person at the front of the queue will be offered the opportunity to purchase them (maximum of 2 tickets per person). STEP will close on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 12pm PST. Stay tuned to the Jackrabbit Speaks email newsletter for details about the STEP process. Tickets bought through STEP are transferable, but they are ONLY available for pickup at Will Call.

OMG Last Chance Sale: 1,000 tickets
For those who decide at the last minute that they Absolutely Must Go To Burning Man, and to further combat scalpers, we will sell 1000 tickets at $380 each, maximum of 2 tickets per person. In order to participate, you must pre-register between Friday, August 2 at 12pm (noon) PST and Monday, August 5, 2013 at 12pm (noon). Details for how to register will be available at http://tickets.burningman.com. This first-come first-served sale starts Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 12pm PST. Tickets purchased through the OMG sale are transferable but will not be shipped — they are held for pick up at Will Call only.

Low Income Ticket Program: 4,000 tickets
Our Low Income Ticket program starts accepting applications on January 10, 2013 and will provide 4,000 tickets ($190/each) to those who provide proof of financial hardship, while supplies last. Our Ticketing department reviews each application and awards tickets to those who are best able to demonstrate need. Applicants should receive a response within 4-6 weeks of submitting their application. Visit our ticketing page for information about how to apply. These tickets are non-transferrable and must be purchased and picked up at Will Call in Black Rock City.
======================================

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW …

Ticket Fulfillment – June 03 – July 15
Shipping tickets in the summer allows folks a longer window to buy and sell tickets through our Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP), helps put a damper on the scalper market, limits the amount of time scammers have to counterfeit tickets and sell them to unsuspecting Burners, and allows us to include a printed Survival Guide with each ticket. Tickets purchased in the Holiday Sale, the Directed Group Sale and the Individual Sale will start shipping in early June. We cannot give you an exact delivery date since that depends on where they are being sent, the USPS, and other factors outside of our control. But rest assured: you will receive an email when your tickets have shipped.

Don’t Panic! A Word About the After-Market
Each year, we see a lively after-market kick up during the summer, when many tickets change hands as people realize they can’t make the trip to BRC — and others realize they can. If you’re unable to get a ticket through one of the above means, don’t panic! The likelihood of your being able to acquire a ticket is quite good if you keep your ear to the ground and tap into your community. In 2012 tickets to the event became available in August, as they do each year.

What About Scalpers?
A big worry about tickets in 2012 was that scalpers had scooped up a huge number of Burning Man tickets. However, our research shows that less than 1.5% of the total tickets in circulation were available on scalper sites, which is extraordinarily low for an event as large as ours. In order to thwart scalpers this year, we will be weeding out known scalpers through the pre-registration process, and spoiling the market by selling 1000+ tickets on August 7th. But ultimately, stopping scalpers is up to you. As long as there’s no demand, they’ll be stuck with their supply.

Why Not Implement Identity-based Ticketing (Non-Transferable, Name-on-Ticket)?
There are valid points on both sides of this question, and it’s something we’ve thought about and discussed at length. In addition to logistical and administrative challenges (including increased wait times at the gate), non-transferable tickets would put an end to the acts of gifting that frequently happen with Burning Man tickets — we don’t want to see that tradition die. For more information, see this blog post from Larry Harvey.

About the author: Will Chase

Will Chase first attended Burning Man 2001. He was Burning Man's Web Team Project Manager and Webmaster from 2004-2009, and the Operations Manager and member of the Art Council for the ARTery (Burning Man's art department headquarters in Black Rock City) from 2003-2008. In 2009, he transitioned into the Communications Department, where his responsibilities include global communication strategy, authoring the Jackrabbit Speaks Newsletter, content management for the Burning Man website, coordination of Burning Man's social networking efforts, and acting as editor for the Burning Blog. Tales of his sordid adventures can be found on his website.

144 thoughts on “Burning Man 2013 Ticket Sales

• @Freeman (Dodgeball Addiction)

Fair enough, “critical” might be the wrong word, but it’s the exact word they used in the post.

As far as trusting them, I trust them about as far as I can throw them. I mean, really! You can’t even trust them to use the right word instead of “critical.”

Oddly enough, while I’d have an even harder time throwing the entire BM community, I trust them a whole lot more. And since the BMorg at least pays lip service to this being a community-run event, I would think they would trust them, too. That’s why I would want the greater community to have some input in what groups get direct group sales. But that input can’t happen unless we know who is getting them. I want to emphasize, although I’ve talked a lot of shit and made some extreme suggestions, all I really want (this year) is to know who is getting the preferential direct group sales treatment. And I want it so that the community can have an informed discussion about it. That is all.

Also, outside of Burning Man I volunteer my time at a local museum. That seems like a free service. I’m not a programmer so I can’t donate free software.

• @Puppymeat, there are tons of staff who don’t get free tickets. Many get staff-price tickets [usually close to the low-income price], but certainly not all. I did in previous years, but after taking a year off, my department didn’t have enough to go around to all the awesome volunteers that we have.

I was dismayed by the price last year: I volunteer with one of the departments you deemed worthy and got a Directed ticket, because, well, we were planning to be there–and I was sorry that I hadn’t registered for one at a lower price point! I suppose I may have to pony up a similar amount this year, unless the shifts I did last year were enough to get me a staff-price ticket. Only time will tell. :P

& later: “…because the true spirit of Burning Man is…filling out paperwork.” Bah haha. Truth. I filled out that Theme Camp App several years. (For a different camp–like Corvus, I’m a glutton for punishment.)

& As was already pointed out to the Theme-Camp-Complainers: It’s not just for LARGE theme camps; it’s for theme camps of all sizes. Many camps have less than 20 people. & As others have pointed out, it likely includes staff departments, which NEED tons of volunteers.

I agree it is unfortunate that never-placed long-time camps aren’t “in the system” for getting tickets–but most people applied so that they could get Early Arrival and have time to build [and/or prime real estate]. I don’t know whether camps that were unplaced by choice are from the days when the blocks were few enough to not matter so much, of if their build times were little enough to be negligible. My first year was 2001; the highest-lettered street was F or G, I believe. We were camped on Enlightenment. ;)

• Hey puppymeat,

Do you even know what “radical inclusion” means? It means ANYONE is welcome. You have a “choice” to attend…you are not required to attend.

It seems that whenever an article, any article, is posted on this site someone thinks its their duty to share their disdain for Burning Man.

“It sucks”. “Its not like it used to be”. “Its draining the life out of the art community”. “Its run by narcissists”. “Ticketing is unfair”. “Its too expensive”. And so on. The first problem with the whiners is that they can never exactly tell you why it is so bad because whiners just whine to hear their own voice. The second problem is that these same whiners are NEVER willing to do anything to make things better.

Burning Man is run by a private organization who can choose to do things the way they want. They asked for people’s input, which they were not required to do, and they went with what they thought was a suitable balance.

If people dont like it then they dont have to attend.

• Thanks for not having the main sale on Tuesday the 12th, Mardi Gras. Would have ruined the day for a lot of NOLABurners.

Now my only question is do I get my Ash Wednesday ashes before or after the allotted sale?

• “They asked for people’s input”… when/where did Burning Man ask for people’s input in determining the “critical” groups given preferential ticketing?

• Before everyone gets all riled up about Theme camps being allotted tickets, just remember two things; they must still pay for the tickets ($380) and the amount that each camp is allotted does not cover the whole theme camp. I know several 150 member camps that we’re allotted only 35 or 40 tickets last year. The allotted tickets help, but not too much.

• @Peter Madden

Yeah, I thought I knew what “radical inclusion” meant. Everyone’s welcome (if they can manage to make it.) I certainly didn’t say anything close to complaining about being forced to go. Oddly enough, despite the frequently testy conversations I’ve had with others in this thread, YOU are the only person who has made me feel unwelcome.

I do love Burning Man. That’s why I’ve been back every year since I first went in 1998. I do not, however, love it unconditionally. I feel absolutely free to publicly air my grievances with their decisions. As a side note, I don’t particularly feel like unconditional love is something worth aspiring to–too often it’s indistinguishable from Stockholm Syndrome.

Now let’s look at the list of “whines” you have a problem with:
    “It sucks”–I have not said this

“Its not like it used to be”–I don’t think I said this, or at least I didn’t complain about this. I might have mentioned before that it has changed since 1998, but I’m a firm believer in the “evolving social experiment” aspect of BM. Some changes have been good, some have not (IMHO)

“Its draining the life out of the art community”–I haven’t said this.

“Its run by narcissists”–I haven’t said this. I think I might have used the word “cabal” to describe them. OTOH, I don’t remember if I deleted that and chose a less loaded word. I guess I’ll give you half a point for this one.

“Ticketing is unfair”–I guess that’s the blunt crux of my point, although I like to think I’ve been more subtle than that. My gut feeling is it’s unfair, but what I’ve consistently called for is enough transparency that the greater community can discuss what’s fair and (possibly next year) actually have some input/voting system to decide who gets direct group sales tickets and how many. One point for this.

“Its too expensive”–I have not said that. In fact, I have suggested even higher prices to subsidize the truly critical participants. You are so wrong about this I’m deducting half a point.

So out of six “whines” only one applies to what I’ve said (kinda…if you have low reading comprehension.) I would give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re griping about all whiners, not just me. But you addressed it to me directly. So please stop ascribing views to me that I have not expressed and do not hold…asshole.

“The first problem with the whiners is that they can never exactly tell you why it is so bad because whiners just whine to hear their own voice.” I think direct group sales (particularly as opaque as the process is) is bad because it’s (potentially) unfair. It can give preferential treatment to people who are no more deserving than the average participant. Or, at least the average participant who brings something to share with the playa but doesn’t register his or her camp.

“The second problem is that these same whiners are NEVER willing to do anything to make things better.” I have suggested what to do to make things better–make it more transparent. I do not have the resources to implement it myself. Believe me, if I had a list of all the direct sales recipients (groups, not individual names) and how many direct sales tickets they got, I would publish them in a heartbeat.

“Burning Man is run by a private organization who can choose to do things the way they want.” Yes, and I am a private individual who can complain as I want. Burning Man is also an organization that routinely crows about their community involvement, so if they refuse to engage the greater community on this aspect, I’m free–and justified–to call them hypocrites. They would also be free to choose to charge $10,000 per ticket, stop providing port-a-potties, and triple the police presence. Just because they can do something doesn’t mean they should.

• @Jason

Great name, all the wisest people I know are Jasons.

“Before everyone gets all riled up about Theme camps being allotted tickets, just remember two things; they must still pay for the tickets ($380)”

I think I said earlier that I don’t care too much about the price of tickets. In my opinion, the guarantee of a ticket is something worth much, much more than the price of the ticket. So please realize, if you’re getting a guarantee of a chance to buy a ticket, you’re getting something of value (that I will not get) even if you’re paying full price.

“…and the amount that each camp is allotted does not cover the whole theme camp. I know several 150 member camps that we’re allotted only 35 or 40 tickets last year. The allotted tickets help, but not too much.”

This is exactly the type of information I want! But I just want some comprehensive data instead of trickles of anecdotal data. A simple table of what camps/groups got direct sales tickets, how many direct tickets they got, and the full size of the group would be a great start to an informed discussion. People accuse me of getting “riled up” when all I want is enough information to decide if I should be riled up or not.

• The easiest way to digest the directed tickets sales is this; These are 10,000 people who are going to attend this event one way or another. Think of this as 10K people who are not going to be fighting for tickets when the ticket window opens. They are not getting free tickets—the price is exactly the same as the general pricing.

The idea of directing 10,000 for the general price, should only be considered a good thing for the general population, not a negative.

• @Shpilkus

Excellent point, although I don’t think it’s the only way to think about it. I guess I’d quibble with your use of “should only be…” in the last sentence. I’d prefer to use “can be…”

This is also the main cornerstone of the plan I was referring to when I repeatedly said I’ll withhold judgement. I’m withholding judgement on the logistics, obviously I’ve felt free to judge the morality/fairness of direct group sales. It’s a little funny to say these are 10,000 people who won’t be fighting for tickets because the fight has been rigged so that they’ll win no matter what. I also don’t see it as all that clear that fighting 70,000 people for 50,000 tickets is all that much worse, better, or indifferent than fighting 60,000 people for 40,000 tickets (note: hypothetical numbers for demand are pulled directly out of my ass.)

Let’s take a closer look at your assumptions. And let’s do that by considering the counterfactual argument of what would happen if there were no direct group sales and these 10,000 people had to fight for tickets with the rest of us. There are three general possible outcomes (and probably variations on each of these.)

1. The 10,000 people ultimately get less than 10,000 tickets (in the general sale, STEP, OMG sale, and various after-sale markets.) They all fought hard, I’m sure, but like the rest of us some of them simply failed to acquire a ticket. But that also leaves a larger pool of tickets for the rest of us (or, more realistically, it means more of the rest of us were fortunate enough to get tickets. But for the simple math argument that amounts to the same thing.) If that were the situation, then direct sales tickets would be taking tickets out of the hands of the rest of us, and would be considered a loss. (For the sake of this argument a “win” or “loss” simply refers to the chance for regular ticket-seekers to get tickets. I don’t mean for “win” or “loss” to mean anything in regards to the ultimate quality of the event.)

2. The 10,000 people ultimately get exactly 10,000 tickets. To a first approximation, this is the same as direct sales. Maybe a bit more stress and worry for everyone (certainly a lot more for the 10,000.) Also getting exactly 10,000 tickets might mean they “gamed” the system and got more than 10,000 tickets initially (e.g., both you and your friend go in for two tickets hoping that one of you is successful, as luck would have it you both get two tickets) but dutifully gifted or sold (at cost, of course) their extra ones. This might mean more tickets are directed to their closest friends who aren’t part of the elite 10,000 (effectively increasing the 10,000 to 10,000+.) So maybe there are scenarios where this hurts the rest of us, and direct sales would be considered a slight win. But there are probably alternate scenarios that make this is a slight loss. So to first order 10,000 = 10,000 and it’s a tie.

3. The 10,000 people get more than 10,000 tickets. Meaning they “game” the system (as I described above, or in some other ways to increase their chances of getting tickets) and they are do not redistribute all of their excess tickets. (example of an easily imagined common scenario–they hold on to their extra ticket for a friend who kinda wants to go. At the last minute, their friend bails and all their efforts to distribute the ticket–craigslist, message boards, etc. (let’s assume it’s so late STEP has already closed)–fail.) Whether that’s really their fault or due to inefficiencies in the after-sale markets is kind of immaterial. The important thing is they end up with more than 10,000 tickets total, and so direct sales is a clear win. It also kind of makes them greedy bastards who would take up more of a precious resource than they could possibly use. (Note: it doesn’t really matter to me if they intended to act like greedy bastards if the outcome is the same.)

I take it from your comment (“…a good thing for the general population, not a negative.”) that you would envision something like scenario 3. I agree that in that scenario logistically direct sales are a good idea. I’m not as comfortable with the moral implications of appeasing greedy bastards. But I’m more or less fine tossing morality aside in the name of logistics, as long as you recognize that’s what you’re doing.

• The group that I camp with is one of the oldest ones on the playa. Last year we did not get directed tickets. I was happy about that since it was at the highest level.
    The entire playing field has been leveled this year by the tier structure being dropped. Now, this larger camps that bring the huge tents, the great entertainment and expensive laser lighting are just being assured that they will have tickets at the same price level as everyone else.

Last year, the directed tickets were done late in the game, and that annoyed people who thought that they were going to be available for the general population–and they were not.

• Puppymeat… It seems like you have all the answers. Please lead us all, Oh Wise One. We worship thee.

Seriously, how about contacting them directing rather than ranting aimlessly. Do your own research funded by your own person and provide us with your findings. Otherwise please stop the endless whining. Gosh, I hope you aren’t like this on the playa… You clearly aren’t one of my camp mates…

Like you said about the temple not being critical… I don’t think center camp is critical nor do I think artica or temple guardians or greeters are CRITICAL. Once someone takes your tickets go find your camp. So let’s cut the art project funding, cut the map, cut the temple, cut artica, cut center camp… And bam now we have tickets for $250. Happy now? If you are over 30, I’m sincerely embarrassed for you.

FOP 220.

• So many negative ninnies!

BMORG did a great job revamping the ticketting system.

And yes, it is a good idea to ensure tickets are provided for theme camps, because they help create the city and provide the entertainment. These ticket allotments per camp are not huge, merely the minimum needed to pull it off. Camps need certainty to build a solid team and build infrastructure over the following months.

Besides, there will be plenty of tickets available to burners this year, all at the same price.

I am disconcerted, however about the overall high ticket price, which is at the high end of “reasonable”. Many in my camp will not be able to go unless they get a low income ticket, which makes things dicey..

• I think that is a more than fair price for 7+ days of life changing experience. Coachella costs $320 for 3 days, bonnaroo $290 for 3 days, edc $340 for 3 days, etc… These are all great festivals that I have been to, but in my own personal opinion, they don’t even come close to the bm experience. Theme camps and art cars are the reason the experience is what it is. I personally wouldn’t want to go to a gathering of bm tourists and noobs. I want to be there with people who participate. I think tourists and noobs have their place, but I don’t believe they would want to be there so bad if it wasn’t for the amazing art and music that is bm, and is provided by theme camps, artist groups, and art cars. First things first, let’s set the stage before we open the doors for the guests.

• Great job on finding a ticketing solution after last year.

” The easiest way to digest the directed tickets sales is this; These are 10,000 people who are going to attend this event one way or another. Think of this as 10K people who are not going to be fighting for tickets when the ticket window opens. They are not getting free tickets—the price is exactly the same as the general pricing.

This policy is allowing these camps to start putting together their infrastructures NOW, with assurances that they will have enough people to run things. ”

That is exactly right. Theme camps were encouraged to buy shipping containers ( $2500+ ) and store them in Gerlach ( which requires a monthly rental fee ) for their theme camp infrastructure. If they can’t get tickets, then what? Our theme camp ( Camp D.O.A. ) was offered tickets last year. The key people that own the theme camp infrastructure didn’t get tickets in the lottery. We bought 10 total ( our camp had about 18 people last year ). For that special treatment, we got to buy, haul ( about 780 pounds worth ) and pour $ 4000.00 in very good wine and champagne at Burning Man. And bring our theme camp out ( my 1/2 of which has cost me over $ 10,000 so far ) We make sure we give back 10 fold + for the privlege of getting those tickets. Hope to see you there this year ! We will once again try and pour you the best wine and champagne in Black Rock City.

• Ticket prices are too high. Everyone keeps comparing Bman to other festivals (Coachella costs $320 for 3 days, bonnaroo $290 for 3 days, edc $340 for 3 days, etc… ). The difference is that the other festivals don’t ask the attendees to provide the security, operate the gate, provide the art, music and all the entertainment, etc. I think there is an ethical obligation to not profit excessively from the gifts of your community. Burningman jumped the shark on that a while ago. I understand they need more money to pay off the LLC members – fair enough. They’ve earned it. I just hope that once the transition is over tickets prices can be held to more reasonable levels for a while. To everyone who says “look at all the expenses they have”, you need to read up on the economic concept of marginal costs. It doesn’t cost BORG another $380 for each additional participant. Costs haven’t gone up by 600% since I bought my first ticket for $65. The BORG demands transparency from every regional, and yet they’ve never released their own income numbers – just expenditures (and nothing since 2010). Anyways, once they go non-profit, we should get some real transparency and accountability. In the meantime, yes, it’s still worth every penny. But it feels a lot dirtier to pay and contribute my time and art than it used to.

• I think the scheme is good. People can (and do) like to make suggestions in an effort to make things better, but I agree there is no perfect way to distribute tickets and any decision will both please and upset people. Although there is some frustration over the directed group sales as being not very radically inclusive, one could argue that this sale helps assure principles such as communal effort or civic responsibility.

One thing that has perplexed me last year and this year is how closely guarded some of the data associated with ticketing seems to be. Although we all were able to surmise how many people signed up for last year’s lottery from forms and polls of friends, the BMORG didn’t release the numbers. As far as I can tell there’s also no plan on releasing who directed sales were directed to, and how they were chosen. I tend to think that transparency is part of radical inclusion. I have worked a lot on making processes more transparent and I believe it’s essential in a democracy. I know the BMORG is no democracy, but I am somewhat mystified by the lack of transparency.

• After my guy n I were rudely invaded in the darkness by 2 BLM “agents” who were cruising around in the “shadows” of a larger than them art car and they getting a whif of some good herb (he is a dual card holder) and myself being a Commercial Driver, I don’t even smoke, after he VOLUNTARILY gave up his lil bit of green to them, after he told them it was his and AFTER we both mentioned my CDL, these 2 pukes agreed to give myself a true playa “gift” in the form of a ticket amounting to $150 under the possesion of marijuana/paraphenalia. oh yea…they told me not to worry about it…just pay the fine and it won’t even show up on my record/or license. We even went to the ACLU out on the playa. They were extremely limited but truly eased our “pain” with a stamp with the statement “I do not codone a search!” which is still visible on my guys guitar as I type. The rest of the event was filled with skepticism. Sat. night we walked out to the Man’s Domain like we have done together in the last 15 YEARS….as we bounced around from art car to art car for the different beats n music…we could not help but notice how BLM agents were (as a clock would go) positioned EVERY 5 -10 minutes with no less than 3 fully ARMED agents. even a K9 here n there After costs for a lawyer,fines,$400 tix(BM waited till 30 days before the event to let the PAIUTE TRIBE know there would be no guest tix), we too can say the Man needs to come down off that steroidal platform it’s on and become a true citizen again. Maybe w/out a damn theme. Wow,what a concept. ),(

• How will any of this keep last year’s virgin Frat boys, with Daddy’s trust fund and a big bag of glow sticks, from trashing the Playa and porta-potties with their Bud Light cans? Just saying’

• Calculated it out and with just those 55,000 tickets sold, that generates nearl 29 million dollars…
    Damn, where does that money go? Does it really cost that much to put this on or is burning man a corporation in hippie’s clothing?

• Really hope Burning Man Org stops using In Ticketing for ticket fulfillment. Especially after the last two years of ridiculous screw ups. You guys should do it yourself!

• Re: ticket cost….$380/12 = $31.67. Setting aside $31.67 per month is roughly equivalent to about $1/day. I budget every year for Burning Man, because it’s a priority in my life. And I set aside more every month than just the ticket cost. I set aside enough for our travel expenses, food, water, Playa gifts, bike blinkies, etc. It’s not hard to work out the math, and it’s not hard to prioritize and plan.

I too have been attending every single year since 1998. And as costs have gone up, I ask myself each year whether it’s still a high priority for me. If the answer is yes, I simply adjust my budget.

• Re: ticket cost….$1,000/12 = $83.33. Setting aside $83.33 per month is roughly equivalent to about $3/day. By budgeting every year for Burning Man, setting aside more every month than just the ticket cost, working out the math, prioritizing and planning, everyone should be able to easily afford $1,000 tickets by simply adjusting your budget.

• I take back all of the bad things I said about you guys last year. Well done on the revised rules. This makes sense, and isn’t obscenely “over-engineered” like last years rules were. Now just make all tickets assigned to a person, non-transferrable, and required IDs at the gate, and you’ll be 100% there.

• Looking forward to seeing you all on the playa this year. Can’t wait to come home.

Burners old and new, we’ll have a fantastic time. All you go to do a least once in the week is give something – a smile, a hug, a meal, a gift, a dance, a song, a massage, a drink, some sunscreen, some love, whatever you got. We’ve all got something to give.

I hope you all get the tickets you need. , and can bring the people you need to come with you. I will bring my best friend who hasn’t been, and be with him at the top of the temple, seeing his eyes shine when the sun comes up over those red hills in the morning, and then catch up with him 3 days later when he’s been off on a mission of his own.

All of us who get to go are lucky fuckers.

See you all out there,

T

• Individual Ticket Sales sold out in 4 minutes! Wow. As a nine time Burner I have grown weary of the process of buying a ticket. I use to buy tickets in May, June even August with out a problem from Burning Man. The last 5 years has been disappointing. The last time I got tickets was 2011. I was astonished how many 1st Burners I met compared to the early 2000 era. The first year I attended, I saw one police patrol the entire 4 days there. A lot has changed and not for the best of Burning Man, including the ticket process. Time for me to find another adventure and leave BM for the yups.
    Chumenow

• Excellent items from you, man. I’ve remember your stuff prior to
    and you are simply extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have received here, certainly like what you’re saying and the
    best way through which you are saying it. You are making it enjoyable and
    you continue to take care of to stay it smart. I cant
    wait to read far more from you. That is actually a tremendous website.

• Doesn’t look like I’ll get to go this year (6 year vet) tickets are just not available. I noticed last year that roughly half of the people it talked to where 1st timers and I remember what it was like the 1st year I went. It takes awhile to to grasp the concept and organize to truly begin to participate. The more you do the better it gets that’s why missing this year hurts. The secondary ticket market (ie Craigslist Ebay etc) are ridiculous I refuse to pay $600 for a standard ticket. I’ve contacted several people about tickets and so far every one of them have been 1st timers who haven’t yet experienced the event but see an opportunity to make a profit. They don’t understand yet what a privilege it is to be able to go. They sell there overpriced tickets to other NOOBs who are willing to pay. I’m all for inclusion but this is the effect, BMorg is really worried about scalpers the pros aren’t doing this. It’s uneducated 1st timers that are creating the ticket issues. It seems we are a victim of our own success. It’s gotten so much harder every year to go that if I don’t go this year our small camp will suffer and I don’t think that I will want to go through this any more. Maybe it’s time that the veterans walk away and let the NOOBs run the show. It doesn’t have to be as big as it is to have the experiences that I enjoy the most at BM. Like I said I’m for inclusion but there needs to be a balance I don’t want it to evolve into clicks and groups, elitism or favoritism. A lot of people have worked hard to contribute and participate that aren’t involved with a theme camp or village it would be nice to know that our concerns are noticed too. Thanks it’s been fun.

• I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive,
    your authored subject mater stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that
    you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot
    often inside case you shield this hike.

• hello!,I really like your writing very so much! percentage we keep in touch
    extra approximately your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this area
    to solve my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

• Having read this I believed it was rather informative.
    I appreciate you spending ssome time and effort to put this content together.
    I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments.
    But sso what, it was still worth it!