Announcing Burner Profiles

Black Rock City from afar on Burn night. Photo by Cameron Grant

Burning Man is excited to announce the launch of Burner Profiles, a system to help facilitate the flow of information we regularly collect from Burning Man participants for ticket sales, theme camp and art installation registration, mutant vehicle applications, What Where When submissions, and other things that people do and create for Black Rock City.

Initially, the Burner Profile will be used as part of the pre-registration process for ticket sales to Burning Man 2013. To create your profile and pre-register for access to ticket sales, the only information you’re required to provide is your first name, last name, email address, and mailing address. That’s it … the same info required whenever you buy Burning Man tickets.

Eventually we’ll be expanding the use of this new platform to offer additional features. So, the more information you put into your profile, the more value you’ll get out of it. Those of you involved with creating (and registering) projects for Burning Man are quite familiar with the wealth of information we collect year after year in order to process your registrations, and we want to make that whole process easier for YOU and for US by storing information in your Burner Profile.

And in the glorious vision of our future, we believe Burner Profiles will help facilitate communications regarding on-playa and off-playa volunteer activities, give us the ability to provide communications that are pertinent to you, and offer consolidated access to all of the Burning Man information systems that you work with.

Your information will be private and will not be shared — nor will it be searchable on the internet. (For more details see our Privacy Policy.)

We’ve long dreamed of having this kind of system in place in order to simplify and streamline our processes. We’re pretty certain it will make your overall Burning Man experience smoother and more enjoyable, and provide you with a nice reflection of your role in creating Burning Man culture at the same time.

(Oh and for those of you who filled out the Pink Postcard when you came into Black Rock City last year, thank you! That was the pilot program the Burner Profile system.)

About the author: Will Chase

Will Chase first attended Burning Man 2001. He volunteered as the Operations Manager for the ARTery (Black Rock City’s art headquarters) and was on the Burning Man Art Council from 2003-2008. He was Web Team Project Manager and Webmaster from 2004-2009, then transitioned to the Communications Department in 2009 to become Minister of Propaganda, working on global communications strategy. He's the editor-in-chief for the Jackrabbit Speaks newsletter and the Voices of Burning Man blog, and content manager for Burning Man’s websites. He also manages the ePlaya BBS and Burning Man’s social networking efforts.

101 thoughts on “Announcing Burner Profiles

• 2012 was my first full week at Burning Man. My son, who came along to help me, had been there before, and helped convince me that it was a major event I had to attend before I die. (I’m 75, a retired Berkeley professor and professional art critic for the Wall Street Journal, and get around by wheelchair.)

The Mobility Camp, tirelessly run by Wayne Merchant, made my stay possible– along with my son’s help, as well as that of the Media Mecca and the Artery. I’ve now essentially finished a book called “The Art of Burning Man,” with a great deal of help from the major artists involved (most of whom I met), and Burning Man officials like Larry, Marian, Crimson, Lee Anna at Media Mecca, and Betty June at the Artery.
    I’m now just waiting on my final interviews with the first three (which Kelly Anders is setting up) to finish my final chapter; and working on gathering permissions from photographers for the hundred photographs I’ve chosen. I’ve already given four lectures on the subject, looked at hundreds of live examples (in workshops or on-site), and tens of thousands of photographs of the art installations at Burning Man since 1993.
    My physical strength is ebbing, so I may pass on BM 2013: I did buy one first round $650 ticket for my son, as a Christmas present. Depending on how I feel, I might bid on a second ticket in one of the later rounds.
    Love to you all,
    David

• Burner Profiles sounds suspiciously like an apparatchik ploy to gather information about burners… if an how they participate, what flavors of voluntary activities are preferred, theme camp membership, contributing catharses and miscellaneous what not that could all too readily be used to winnow the field of potential ticket purchasers without anyone’s be any the wiser.

• Beautiful David! Beautiful!

I camped with the BRC Dept. of Mobility Camp in 2010 and I’ve been driving a gifted mini MV for the camp. My first year back since the early 90’s. Wow! Ogranised chaos… Love it!

I also built a second mini MV with the help of a great artisitic MV builder. I camp on the 4:30 spoke and drive the mini MV for the Mobility camp, as annex so to speak.

Love, DB

• Why not take a cue from Amazon reviews, and offer to have profiles “verified” for the number of previous year Burn ticket purchases, tracked by email address used when the tickets were purchased. That way we can know who has a provenance of actually attending the Burn, instead of scalpers or wannabees.

• I am seeing a lot of people (mostly on facebook) complaining that this is too Big-Brother, the end of Buringins Man as we know it, BORG turning a profit to make the next facebook, and overall a “horrible idea.” EVERYONE PLEASE SHUT YOUR FUCKING PIE HOLES!!! This is a good fucking idea. As an artist that ACTUALLY FUCKING PARTICIPATES this is a good service. Allows me to network, get funding, find projects to fund. It allows me to meet people before the playa, lets people find me after the playa, lets people stumble upon my profile, let’s me stumble across their profile, and talk the the community on a while. If you don’t want to use it. DON’T. Stop your bitching. We are not going to miss you. “Oh no! It might ruin EVERYTHING we love about the playa because it is way to network in this modern age”. It’s hypocritical to use Facebook to voice your negativity of this useful idea. Sure there is TRIBE and other sites, but NOW there will be a direct one for virgins, veterans, and the curios. Thank you all you coders and designer for making this soon to great online community, and for you that think BORG has anything but good intentions (really, how the FUCK could this be bad for you?) then you are going to need more tinfoil for your hats. You be the cult…. I’ll bring the mother fucking cargo. —Joshua Hubert

• This sounds like a cool idea with lots of potential. And it allows us to participate or not participate, whatever we feel. I kind of like being behind the scenes, but also knowing there’s a community there.

• dont know anything about the politics of burM but had one hell of a good time for the first and only time that I have been there. So whatevere supports the good of it, I am in!!!!!!

• If all goes well I’ll be out on the playa camping with CampContact again (for the 3rd time) this year. So looking forward to it! Like the last two times I’ll come early and help build the camp.
    Having the directed group sale before the main sale is a great idea. And to be able to support all the great themecamps and art installations you guys need to know who’s who. I totally understand that something like the Burner Profile helps in the process. Thank you guys for all your organizing work!!
    *big hug*
    Timon

• So let me get this straight, complainers:

BRC and the org should stop scalping, keep ticket prices low, let everyone come to BRC (which is a limited size event), not collect any information about you, but magically know to let you come for the prices you expect to pay.

Interesting, especially the “magic” part. I’d love to hear suggestions.

And no, I’m not part of the org, but I’m part of the city – and if they use this to help figure out how to distribute tickets to the people who contribute, year after year, but aren’t affiliated with a big theme camp, then I’m for it, as long as some tickets are still available to new people.

There’s a problem with resources here, people. BRC is an amazing place, but can only take in so many people. We want to make sure we can come and new people can come, and that’s a hard problem to solve. Don’t blame that problem on the org, they’re trying to figure out the best way they can to solve it. Instead of complaining, how about helping?

Or just be sure to tick “Jaded Burner” when you fill out your Burner profile. :)

• @LDD:
    Are you serious?? I’m guessing that you didn’t bother to read past the first paragraph before posting your paranoid, ill-informed comment. True, this is an attempt “to gather information about burners” but it’s no more an “apparatchik ploy” than you are a sensible human being. If you’d bothered to read the post, you’d know that they’re not asking us to provide any more information than we already do when we buy tickets; you may, if you want to receive communications that might be of interest to you, but you don’t have to. I’ve cut and pasted below a few sentences from the post, and I’ve put asterisks (***) around the sentences that you obviously skipped when you “read” it. The language couldn’t be more clear and I, for one, look forward to seeing how the Burner Profiles evolve:

“***the only information you’re required to provide is your first name, last name, email address, and mailing address. That’s it … the same info required whenever you buy Burning Man tickets.***

…Burner Profiles will help facilitate communications regarding on-playa and off-playa volunteer activities, give us the ability to provide communications that are pertinent to you, and offer consolidated access to all of the Burning Man information systems that you work with.

***If none of that stuff pertains to you, though, and you just like to come out to the playa and quietly do your thing, that’s fine … you can include as much information as you wish, or as little as you’d like. It’s totally up to you.***

Your information will be private and will not be shared — nor will it be searchable on the internet.”

• How does this work if you already bought tickets via the holiday pre-sale? I will not need to pre-register for the next sale as I pre-registered before the holiday sale, but I do not think it created a profile or anything.

• But on another note, will 10,000 tickets be enough for the continuity of the Buning Man culture? Last year the shear number if “Newbees” attending compromised the theme camp members from getting in. There was definately less art (& Burning Man Heart) in the camps all around.
    I am hoping that this year a lot of the Buning Man alumni can and will return and help the spirit and soul grow of BM once again. My partner and I are going for our 7th year, and we hope it will not be our last….

• K- profile created.
    Question: does this mean I am preregistered for tickets? I thought that date was Feb 6 at noon- are there an additional steps for that?
    @Kismet- wha??? Tons of art, and tons of community last year. You get what you give…

• Why is the login page for Burner Profiles not protected by HTTPS/SSL encryption? It’s a really bad idea to transmit user names and passwords in the clear like that.

Until that gets fixed I recommend folks setting up profiles choose user names and passwords that they are using nowhere else.

• kismet, the directed ticket distribution does not preserve burning man culture. what it does is cling to a specific image of burning man that it seems the borg is trying to maintain, rather than letting things change naturally as things always have with the burn. certain camps have not been on the playa forever, nor will they be there forever, but the directed ticket thing seems to try to keep them there, the same as they are, each year.

and assuming “newbies” dont know what theyre doing or assuming that they take away the heart of burning man is a selfish thing to say. we were all newbies once, give them a break. using the number of years you’ve burned as a justification for your ego as a burner is just stupid. not saying you, kismet, are doing that…but a lot of people are. it’s dumb.

• Completely uninterested in this idea. Make it opt-in, not opt-out. And for those who disagree and think it’s a great idea, good for you, but please stop telling the rest of us to shut up.

• Hey great program I am sure, however, when logging to this page to give my information my browser/norton flashed a warning that your website had a bad certificate and in red said do not enter the website. While I have humor as to a lot, when I get that warning it has been never wrong. So if you are monitoring this blog, fix the page.
    Ghost.

• I signed up, was told that I would be sent a confirmation email….that was two days ago. Not in my spam filter, nothing. A friend who tried to register reported the process stalling out a little later in the process.

I used the “contact us” form to report the problem, and haven’t heard back. So this thing that I’m required to do to get my ticket doesn’t appear to work, and there’s apparently nothing I can do about it?

• i’d like to report that early beta testing with the embedded neural probe is going great.

one small glitch involving some impulsive face-painting ala Paul Addis (RIP) at the local Macy’s cosmetic counter and subsequent arrest for lighting the hosiery department on fire, but besides that, i am very happy with the new tracking system, designed to protect us, and find us on the C-Grid, should we really freak out on mushrooms one night and spend 6 hours in the porta potty.

all in all, i like it.

• I agree with Tripod about the security issue here.

The main registration page ( http://profiles.burningman.com/register/ ) is not encrypted. So you send your email address, real name, and your chosen user name in plaintext. The system then replies to that email address with a password, but they recommend you change your password after you log on. You then go to a login page that is SSL encrypted ( https://profiles.burningman.com/wp-login.php ). After you log in, pages are no longer encrypted. The ‘change your password’ section is on an unencrypted page. Those fields are sent as standard HTTP Post.

So if someone is intercepting my traffic (on any public wifi, for example), they will first get my email address, user name and real name in unencrypted packets. Then if I’m using an email client that doesn’t continue SSL after the login page, they’ll get my password in the response email. But even if I am using secure email, if I change my password as directed in the email then the new password will be intercepted.

I verified by capturing my own packets with a sniffer that the email address, user name, real name and new password are all sent plaintext.

Given that the Burner Profile system is intended to aggregate personal information and also somehow interface with the ticketing system, this is at least a privacy concern and possibly also a vector for ticket or credit card theft.

• I’m very confused on how to make a profile for the registrations.. I see some others comments about that their profiles have been created, can someone help me or give me some info on creating a profile.. Thank you. My email is marcusmonstur here: marcusmonstur (at) gmail.com if anyone is willing to send me info…

• Well, I got registered, even got the confirmation letter. HOWEVER, everytime I use Exporer 9 I get a certificate warning, if I use Chrome no problem goes straight through. So if the Borg is monitoring, you might consider fixing it as I have a bad feeling that your security may have been screwed with, especially if you are going to require Explorer as the browser du jour on ticket day.
    So, what are we to expect from the Borg, continued sloppiness which is an upgrade from last year, maybe we should be happy offer up some ding dongs in sacrafice to the ‘gods’ and kick back.

• Soooo, where’s the link to the page that lets me create a profile? I can’t seem to find it in this article, nor is it on tickets.burningman.com (I did a search on that page and the word “profile” appears nowhere.)

Am I going crazy?

• Trying to register my profile, but received message thru Firefox after trying to log back in from email I received that site not secure.. ?? Okay to continue or not. Don’t want to mess this up.

• Hey, just a quick question. I applied for a Low Income Ticket and was flipping crazy happy when I saw that I was accepted. Thank you guys for the opportunity. I just wanted to know if it is required of me to create a Burner Profile. I see that it’s like registering for the next ticket sale, but I’m not going to buy any more tickets! And I don’t want to mess this up either! So, should I? Thanks.

• I filled out my profile on Feb 7 to register but never got a confirming email. So last night I filled out another profile and used another email address…I didn’t get a confirmation email for the profile either. Now I’m panicked because I’m afraid I’m not pre-registered at all and won’t be able to buy a ticket on Wednesday. Help!
    Sheri

• we want privacy, not to have private information data shared in a facebook style scheme. this is a terrible idea. do you also want social security number, mothers maiden name, workplace, dna, retina scan, fingerprint? mind your own damn business! who’s idea was this?

• Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations?
    Thank you!

• hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up
    anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this site,
    as I experienced to reload the site a lot of times previous to I could get it
    to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes
    affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if
    ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of your respective interesting content.
    Ensure that you update this again very soon.

• Pantene hair products are created and marketed by Procter & Gamble.

You can, however, avail of greater discounts if you order in bulk using the coupons.
    So it’s time to hunt the online coupons that can make shopping economical.

• An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who was doing a little homework on this.

And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact
    that I discovered it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this subject here on your
    blog.

• I’ve been browsing on-line more than 3 hours these days, but I never found any fascinating article like yours.
    It’s beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content as you
    did, the internet might be a lot more helpful than ever before.

• Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.
    Nevertheless imagine if you added some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!

Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this website could undeniably be one of the
    very best in its niche. Excellent blog!

• The main social particularities of pygmy are the simple (nucleus) family and
    organization of families that makes a hunting-gathering community which exploits
    the forest territory belonging to it. Take a look at the video
    tutorials – you’ll take about 1 hour to master all the bells and whistles of
    the interface. NVIDIA Ge – Force GT 520MX discrete graphics card (memory 1GB) Samsung E5A 3Dmark06 score can be seen that its performance is good,
    and GT 520MX support DX11.

• Right here is the perfect web site for everyone who would like
    to understand this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with
    you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject that’s been written about
    for a long time. Great stuff, just excellent!

• I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know
    how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly
    articles in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free content source

• Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long
    as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?

My website is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from some of the
    information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Thank you!

• I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing issues
    with youir blog. It appears like somme of the text within your
    posts are running off the screen. Can somebody
    else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This might be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve
    had this happen previously. Thank you

• Attractive section of content. I simply
    stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital
    to assert that I acquire actually loved account your blog posts.
    Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds or even I achievement you get admission to
    persistently rapidly.

• Hi there! This post couldn’t be written much better! Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He constantly kept preaching about this. I am going to send this information to him.
    Fairly certain he’s going to have a very good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

• Where sneakers style isabel marant Isabel Marant Women Sneakers XqalN Aspetto:
    CTS V er un tornitore testa, una cintura, un alto profilo elegante, con un macho griglia aggressiva
    e fanali posteriori soprattutto headand angoli acuti.
    Abbiamo avuto un sacco di gente ogling questa vettura.
    Isabel Marant Sandals Isabelle Marant Sneakers UqpZa
    Ken Jacobus sue calcagna era difficile ottenere più forte a Little Shop of Horrors.
    Georgia Brown, testa a testa con Ken come la Baia dei Porci era una linea netta..
    isabel marant sneakers tumblr sale isabel marant sneakers look a like
    fPsQY Questo stile lodge con moderni sistemi di progettazione che sono in mostra
    nella hall con sedie in pelle in stile art deco e pavimenti in piastrelle di marmo.

Il pacchetto include una visita e vino da vigneti a Le Nord Levis.
    Shop Isabel Marant Sneakers Online Sneakers Isabel Marant Shop Online
    WOqdS Tempo, giorno e notte, come quelli dell’ambiente di lavoro giusto, ognuno è un aspetto costosa è spesso scomodo
    da maneggiare spilli disagio può essere aggiunto l’appartamento.
    Esattamente il motivo stivali fibbia scuri probabilmente estesi senza difficoltà per proteggere tutti è offerto 95 medico
    esattamente quello che si ottiene con le scarpe. Isabel Marant
    Sneakers Fashion Isabel Marant Collection bMnNw Versare il
    restante contenuto della bottiglia in un colino, sciacquare bene e scarico.

Quando la carne è cotta, scolare il liquido, ma
    la carne nel piatto.

deals Isabel Marant SNEAKERS COMPENSES BIRD DORE isabel marant etoile sweater
    DHUno Un tritarifiuti vi aiuterà a mantenere la vostra spazzatura correttamente
    contenere e non mettere nei sacchetti della spazzatura o in contenitori solidi.

Userfriendly compattatori di rifiuti di casa sono facili da usare e occupa pochissimo spazio.
    isabel Marant sneakers outlet where can i buy isabel marant sneakers online nwUdO Hai visitato la fattoria
    che la carne proviene? Penso che il 98% per cento di noi
    direbbe di no. Me fra loro.. what stores sell isabel marant sneakers wholesale sneakers isabel marant style IxXMl Vestito
    spilla di sicurezza Gianni Versace praticamente fatta Elizabeth Hurley un nome di famiglia nel 1994, e una cintura giacca rossa indossati
    da Hilary Rhoda 2007 Dior haute couture spettacoli sono
    in mostra anche, naturalmente, girato la testa.

Quindi è improbabile che la forma finale della Maison Martin Margiela.

• Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you
    are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me
    to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.

Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

• Couples in long distance relationships should take advantage of it.
    Well established live sex websites make sure
    that your privacy will never be invaded and you also have the option to use or not to use your
    webcam if you do not want the model on the other end to see you.
    The world is generally a pretty safe place for a penis, because most men have a vested interest in keeping
    it out of harm’s way.

• It also has a large zippered compartment where you can
    store an additional lens or flash. Ponsel yang satu ini sering disebut-sebut sebagai Black
    – Berry 8520 Gemini yang ditambah dengan kemampuan 3G.
    Smartphone ini ditawarkan dalam dua versi, yaitu tanpa
    kamera dan dengan kamera 5 mega piksel.

• Different baubles, from the very tiny pins to the latest and
    compulsory credit cards and cellphones can be accommodated inside
    a handbag. A bag that you use to go out has more glamour and glitz
    and usually is quite a bit smaller than your daytime purse.

They have experimented and a revamped their image and come up with some unique lines which include,materials lie leather, tarpaulin, tissues, canvas etc.

• By using a bed guard rail, they can be provided with additional protection without the need for a bulky crib.
    A portable toddler bed is essential for each parent and kid as well.
    When we’re in need of info, lots of people turn towards the web for advice.

• Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance.
    I must say you’ve done a fantastic job with this. In addition,
    the blog loads very quick for me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog!

• In one study subjects experienced a 74% increase in sperm count by aiding testosterone output, after acquiring supplementation for
    26 weeks. The simplest way to get your daily quantity
    that is recommended is through ingredients rich in redmeat, Zinc oysters, poultry.
    Ku Gua: A shrub utilized in Chinese medicine and native to
    Africa, it has been shown to normally raise testosterone which effectively increase sperm output.
    L-Arginine HCL: Arginine is situated in large concentrations
    in nuts, chocolates, and raisins and it is for considerably
    increasing volume, responsible. Amount pills should be undertake a regular
    schedule once per time for a few months or for as
    long you would like to continue outcomes. Best Review…ACTUALLY.

• This onus on teamwork is one of the key reasons Football
    Superstars is unique, insofar as Soccer or Football games go, with a guild like fashionability to
    the team system. Though Group ‘B’ mates of them
    was easy comparing Group ‘A’ but Philippines are enough confident for this largest Basketball event of Asia.
    Czechoslovakia has played two finals without winning (1934 and 1962).

• Very good blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any recommendations? Many thanks!

• Heya great website! Does running a blog like this require
    a lot of work? I have absolutely no understanding of coding however I had been hoping to start
    my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject but I simply wanted
    to ask. Cheers!

• Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am
    a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many
    of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to swap techniques with
    others, why not shoot me an email if interested.

• I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing problems with your
    site. It appears like some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?

This may be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen previously.

Kudos

• Waarom zou iemand willen volgen een dieet, en het
    antwoord is heel duidelijk. Als u op zoek bent naar een speciaal dieet om mager en slank, bovenstaande zijn enkele van de
    goede diëten die de moeite waard zijn te denken en. Niet alleen joggen of
    hometrainer tijdens het lezen zoals de wusses in sportscholen, moet u zweten als een varken aan het einde van uw
    uur van cardio.

• I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps
    everyone else experiencing issues with your site.
    It appears like some of the text on your posts
    are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let
    me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem
    with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Thanks