MOOP Map Live 2012: Day 1 Results!

This is it, everybody: the moment you’ve been waiting for. Did your camp Leave No Trace? We’re about to find out, in the thrilling first installment of MOOP Map Live 2012!

The MOOP line stretches from Iris to Lilac, covering three city blocks. Photo by Vertumnus. Click for full size!

Day One of Playa Restoration was a day of legend, the perfect day. Maybe, just maybe the Best Day Ever.

A lot of that is thanks to YOU, all you MOOP maniacs who cleaned up after yourselves and your neighbors too.

Some of it is thanks to the weather: A clear, 90° day with a light breeze. Warm, but not deathly hot — and nary a dust storm to be seen.

Spirits were high on the MOOP line. Photo by Vertumnus. Click to enlarge!

For the rest, we can thank the all-star Playa Restoration team, who covered a record 96 blocks in a single day, beating the previous record by 30! That’s unheard of, folks. Let’s give ‘em a big round of applause!

Yes, on their very first day this team has proved their mettle — but they couldn’t have done it without the help of the Burning Man community. Remember, the MOOP Map isn’t about us: It’s about YOU. This is YOUR scorecard, Black Rock City, and without further ado, here are your first day’s results:

Click to enlarge!
MOOP Map Legend

GREEN: GO! GO! GO! The Line Sweep moves quickly because it’s clean. Minimal time and effort spent in this location.
YELLOW: Caution! The Line Sweep moves at a stop-and-go pace. Moderate time and effort spent in this location.
RED: Full stop. The Line Sweepers are on their hands and knees. A ton of MOOP. Extensive time and effort in this location.

Wow! It sure is easy to cover 96 blocks when there’s hardly any MOOP to pick up! Great job, Black Rock City. With the exception of a few pesky yellow and red spots, you left the entire expanse from 2:00 to 10:00, between Iris and Lilac, a beautiful swath of Go-Go-GREEN!

Well done, Playa Restoration, and well done YOU at home. Tune in tomorrow to find out how the Esplanade fared …

Til then, this is The Hun signing off.

Photos by Vertumnus!

About the author: The Hun

The Hun, also known as J.H. Fearless, has been blogging for Burning Man (and many other outlets) since 2005, which is also the year she joined the BRC DPW on a whim that turned out to be a lifetime commitment. Since then she's won some awards for blogging, built her own creative business, and produced some of the Burning Blog's most popular stories and series. She co-created a grant-funded art piece, "Refoliation," in 2007, and stood next to it watching as the Man burned on Monday. She considers that, in many ways, to have been the symbolic end of Burning Man that was. The Hun lives in Reno with DPW Shade King, Quiet Earp. You may address her as "The Hun" or "Hun". If you call her "Honey" she reserves the right to cut you.

21 thoughts on “MOOP Map Live 2012: Day 1 Results!

• I think it’s great you’re blogging about this. It will raise awareness on the issue and hopefully make less moop in the future. Huge props for the Playa Restoration peeps!

• Wait….I see yellow and red near our location at 3:00 and J….and THAT CAN’T be possible as we did 6 (count them SIX) moop sweeps over three consecutive days to make sure there WAS NOTHING left behind. I don’t know how it would be possible that you found ANYTHING other than playa in our location….someone must have dumped something there after we left. How do we get a detailed accounting of what was found in our spot? Who do we contact? thanks….

• Hey Mystique — first of all, thanks for mooping! And yes, it is possible to find out what was left there. If you’re in a theme camp, the placement team will have that information soon. But I can also try to get in touch with the line sweeps and find out what their notes say. As you can see, the MOOP at that intersection seems to be limited to a specific camp. Is that your camp?

• Would like to see some pics of what RED spots look like. Maybe also a detailed pic of a day-worth of MOOP and treasures (worth keeping) that U found.

Click the 666isMONEY to see a creative commons pic of what I found (deep Playa) this year.

• Hey 666isMONEY! Good idea about photographing a day’s worth of MOOP, I’ll see if I can make that happen. As for red spots, they don’t tend to photograph well, because even if there is enough MOOP to really show up in the picture, it tends to be playa-colored and kinda invisible :)

Thanks for mooping!!!!

• Mystique, here’s what the MOOP line found in that spot:
    – pile of wire cabling
    – buried rebar
    – tiny pieces of plastic
    – blue astroturf

Does any of that sound familiar? Maybe it was buried under dust, and later exposed by the rain.

• Mystique, et al,
    Don’t forget the wind doesn’t stop when we leave. Also there are still a lot of people around well past Monday. If you mooped and it was clear, know that. You have no control over what happened when you left.

• JSteop and The Hun,

I was the last one to leave on wed afternoon at 4 pm. I did 6 consecutive moop sweeps over a 3 day period. There was NOTHING in our spot when I left. We did have three sets of squatters on our property…but I checked all their spots as they pulled out on Monday and Tuesday…and found nothing in their spaces. I don’t know who would have left buried rebar…if you can get me a detailed location of the rebar I can tell you who was camping in that spot!! I personally don’t use rebar. I use custom 36 inch long stakes (the kind the big top tent guys use). Nobody in our camp had blue astroturf…I have no idea where that came from. Pile of wire cabling also sounds like something that was left behind by another person….I would have to see the tiny pieces of plastic before making any comment on that. I would VERY much like to see everything that was found and exactly were it was found…..can you forward me a higher resolution map of the debris? mrmystique here: mrmystique (at) earthlink.net is fine. Thanks!

• Emanuel / Mystique – We don’t have the high-resolution map ready yet, but it will be posted in several weeks. Unfortunately we may not be able to give you the exact location of every piece of MOOP found, for obvious reasons — we have a whole city to cover, and recording exact detail of every rebar would just take too long.

You were in a very dusty zone, which was a disadvantage for your entire camp. It’s not totally surprising that things were missed, even rebar which can disappear in the dust! I would say, just beef up your MOOP team for next year, and work on kicking through all the dunes and clumps of dust. I wish I could give you every detail of what we found, but hopefully the high-resolution map will help when it is released.

Thank you SO MUCH for your dedication, and for caring so much about this. It means a lot.