BRC Gets Green Light from BLM: What Does This Mean for Tickets?

Black Rock City, 2010

Exciting news! Today the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) signed a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI), issued a decision record on our Environmental Assessment (EA), granted us a Special Recreation Permit for 2012, and announced a maximum population for the 2012 event of approximately 60,900 participants!

Check out our press release.

Read BLM’S letter announcing their decision.

Join us today in celebrating: we have a permit for this year’s event and approval to expand our population!  We know this will have many readers asking if this means there will be additional tickets for this year.

Now that we have our permit, we have an accurate number to work from when discussing the best approach in the coming weeks.

We had previously been working with a projected population of 58,000 and now we know that we can have a peak population of 60,900 in Black Rock City.

The Directed Ticket Distribution process is still underway.  For more information about how any additional tickets made available by the new population cap will be distributed to Burners looking for tickets, keep your eyes on the Jackrabbit Speaks Newsletter!

Copies of the Final EA, Finding of No Significant Impact, Decision Record, SRP Decision and related documents are available for viewing and upon request from the BLM Winnemucca District Office and online here.

About the author: Maid Marian

Marian Goodell has been a member of the 6-person ownership structure of Burning Man since late 1996. Goodell has been Burning Man's Director of Business and Communications since 1997; and in 2003 she added oversight of the Department of Public Works. The Communications activities under Goodell’s jurisdiction include media relations, print production, and the Jackrabbit Speaks email newsletter; her Business duties include management of accounting, legal, government relations, and administrative processes. Her oversight of the organization's technology infrastructure has included the development of an internal document repository, the Burning Man web site, several blogs, and an image gallery. In 1997 she worked with Burning Man participants to create the Burning Man Regional Network. Goodell holds a BA in Creative Writing from Goucher College in Baltimore, Maryland and an MFA in photography from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

94 thoughts on “BRC Gets Green Light from BLM: What Does This Mean for Tickets?

• I’ve seen a lot of trash along 447. Blown off the roofs of vehicles. Leaving the burn, tie down your trash!! Or put it IN your vehicle. You bring it in, make sure it makes it’s way home with you. And by home, I don’t mean BRC.

That said, I’ll be seeing yinz on the playa in a few months!

• STEP, STEP, STEP…it is the ONLY
    fair way. Most of the step kids are
    veteran burners who tried to do
    the right thing. Honor their intent!!!

And as for trash – if you have not
    seen it you are not looking.
    The first few miles back to Gerlach
    are a disaster after exodus! My
    hubby and I are considering an
    “Adopt a Mile” plan so that LNT
    applies outside the gates as well as
    inside. We can and MUST always
    do better – that is going to be the
    most difficult thing to teach our
    burgins. And, make no mistake…
    it is our obligation to teach them.

• Oh…Wandering enough…you are
    totally out of line with your
    sentiments AND your language. If
    it is such a terrible destination why
    do you want to go back? Why did
    you even try?

• From ‘Radical Inclusion, Meet the Other Nine.’ “it’s not possible to simply increase the number of tickets available for Burning Man 2012.” oh wait…
    Another vote for STEP

• G, I hate to disappoint you, but your figures stated above are absolutely inaccurate when it comes to the cost of paving a two-lane road. You quote $200,000/mile for an outlay of $16,000,000. According to the American Road & Transportation Builders Association, the cost to construct a two-lane undivided road in rural areas is actually $2-$3,000,000 per mile, or ten times the number you misquoted. That increases the cost by $144,000,000. Not a reasonable alternative unless you just hit five plus the Mega Number.

• eBay tix (and more are posted every day) are running $800-1200!!! No, no, no no!
    I got one through the senior plan, BUT, coming from Maui, if I don’t get a camp (Hushville) host, I can’t go (boo hoo!). There’s no easy way to get a camp across the Pacific, unfortunately. I’ve always lucked out with rides, RV or tent space, loaner bike, cooler space, etc. Help!
    (*)
    p.s. STEP first, I wholeheartedly agree.

• I add one more voice:

“… it’s only fair to honor the current STEP queue before distributing any more tickets by other means.”

Fair’s fair, and the STEP people played fairly, patiently by the rules.

• What the number means – 60900 is not the number of tickets, it is the maximum number of people present at any given time. Guess there could be a bit more tickets sold, considering some will leave before others come over.

As for getting there and back – price differentiation could be based not on time the ticket is purchased (we know already they all will be sold out once posted), but rather on number of people in a car.
    Make some tickets <> – say 3+ pple in a vehicle ticket will be cheaper than unlimited (1+ in), but more expensive than 5+.
    Could be beneficial for folks staying in larger camps, where infrastructure is taken care of already. But thats for the next year.

And for now – extra tickets to STEP and see ya all in the dust

• Look at the shiny side of things; part of the experience of BM IS patience. Instead of bitching about the long lines to enter or exodus, take advantage of the opportunity to learn more about yourself. Patience is a quality of character learned only when exposed to situations like these….when i am in line with all the other thousands of burners I’m not waiting for anything, there is no frustration, because I know IT is part of the experience, I have no control of it. Let it go friend, Enjoy the day.

• I am in the step program and like many burners, see this as a chance for Burning Man to do the right thing and put at least half of those tickets into STEP/ I think its the fair thing to do and I hope Burning Man listens to everyone (so far they have been) So again One more Vote for STEP/ cant wait to finally get my tickets home/

• STEP!! For all the reasons noted above. I got my ticket through Step. I also know that one person in our group got a low-income ticket notice just last week so the wheels seem to still be turning. Good luck to you and see you on the PLAYA!

• I’m a veteran burner since ’98 waiting patiently on the STEP queue. Let’s step up to the plate and do the right thing. Honor those who played by the rules and took the time to register for STEP.

• Please consider those who did not have the money to sign up for the original lottery and are now locked out a way that is not a scalper to get tickets.

Thank you.

• I already have mine, but I vote for STEP as well. The platform is there, the people in the queue have been planning and hoping, and any “open” sale will have them going to scalpers.

If, for your conscience, you need to pay lip service to those who did not jump in the initial lottery, then have a window where new buyers can be qualified, much as you did with the initial lottery. Then, quietly open the queue unannounced to them and previous lottery entrants.

• I work in cultural resource management and am so happy to hear of the increase in attendees..one of my co-workers was BLM for the black rock desert for years and we have had many discussions regarding this issue..congrats on the new limit that is not doubt to all that make LNT a reality..i am in favor of more tickets and hope those who love the playa can make it home this year..please go with STEP and allow those who love the playa a chance to acquire a tickets in the spirit of the burn to make this festival what it should be..

• I have received a notification that i was awarded a low income ticket have not received a confirmation second notice yet but am hopefull that will arrive now all i have to do is prepare for the trip there and have adequate camping gear and all the neccesary supplies for my stay there also hope there will be sufficient people for those interesting theme camps and worshops

• tiffani nutter: why exactly do vets who have already had the experience time and again deserve it more then people who have not? Thats very selfish.

• If there are to be extra tickets floating around, I think they should be divided between low income and STEP applicants. The low income ticket program is wonderful.

I was awarded a low income ticket this year, but since I’ve decided to postpone my art piece until next year, I gave the ticket back. I cried about it, though. ha. I hope whoever got my ticket has a fantastic time!

Anyway, don’t forget about us poor people. We have a rough time getting out there. In 2010, I spent every last dollar I had to make sure my art made it there. My partner and I had to hit up the food bank to have enough food for the event. Preservative-laden canned spinach and breakfast cereal. Yech.

• FRAUD!!!! This ad. is running all over in (different cities, even different states) Craigslist. Here’s the dudes e-mail address, “kev01hud here: kev01hud (at) gmail.com” .I have my tickets, but a friend who needs one, came across this. If you write him about the ticket,it starts with this “form message”, then start in with the Western Union cash sending… (2) Burning Man Tickets 2012 – $350 (each) From: Kevin Hudson Hello,

The tickets are still for sale.
    My Name is Kevin Hudson and i am located in New York, NY.

I got a promotion at my job and the post is here in New York, NY that is why I had to move here.
    I am selling all 2 tickets for $700. The seats If you are interested to buy these tickets i will do this deal only trough eBay.In order to start the transaction i will need your full name, address and your eBay id.They will send you an invoice how to purchase the tickets from me.(You will be sending the money to an eBay agent.After the payment is sent i will send the tickets to you.eBay will release the funds to me ONLY AFTER you will send them the confirmation that you received the tickets and they are real).

I will ship them via UPS overnight. I will pay shipping.

Thank You !

• Greg, you missed the bus for STEP by about 5 months. I suggest you start planning for 2013 around, oh, September 2012.

And we really don’t need any more press or media attention. Burning Man sucks. Don’t go.

• For those of your clinging to hope in the STEP program, I just purchased my tickets through STEP and my email confirmation for STEP was date stamped 3/2 12:16…see you on the playa

• many of us still stepless – has the queue reopened – at least not the 100 times I’ve tried. I was offered 2 step tickets by friends – but wait these can’t be transferred – like so many others I’ve tried to follow the rules – push the buttons the right second – could of had tickets – almost – oh the cruel irony – so if anyone takes sympathy on a 2 time burner oldster leave a post – haven’t given up – i do have an atomic fire ball so I suspect things may still work out? everyone be loved and stay safe

• Tickets?! You say they will be mailed in “mid-June”. It’s the end of June and still nothing! Isn’t this considered fraud x45,000??? Must be present to sign for my tickets; now coming up on 4th of July/vacation, etc… Do I have to wait at my door forever? BMORG, you keep on impressing me with the amount of times you mess up.

• Were people who did not receive tickets in the lottery automatically entered on the STEP list? If not, why not? I went online at noon on that day when we were supposed to sign up, I could not get in and got the message after 15 minutes or so that the list was closed. Why should the list close at all? How can I get on the STEP list?

• Burning Man has become what it is and what it will become for many reasons. A great factor in its development, the part of what has fostered the freedom for all of us who come home, is the great Black Rock Deseart. One would be hard pressed to find a better environment for practicing and fulfilling the priciples of the event. Individuality and a sense of community have long been a characteristic value of those who call Nortern Nevada their home. Even though many may not understand the rural lifestyle and often wrongly stereotype, you won’t find a group of people anywhere more likely to welcome you in and accept your differences. Just like any governmental entity, the BLM has a job to do; plane and simple. We as citizens of BRC need to make that as easy for them as possible. We also need to give input on how inportant the event is by giving public comment so the can help not hinder its growth. They can also help to make it better through the planning process. The event is a gift, it allows for the anonymity or lack of it to express ourselves in those ways we see best. Yes the Black Rock can be foreboding and is difficult to get to; but what things worth doing in life are easy. For me, I couldn’t imagine it anywhere else. See you on the playa and please be safe.

• I miss the old days, around 10 years ago my ticket was $120 (no lottery, no STEP, no waiting anxiously for emails or distribution rules). this sentimentality aside, having attended multiple times and experienced the growing population and road limitations: the playa cannot hold endless individuals. There is a limit. I won’t be going this year, and can’t realistically imagine when that might happen again. But I really, really hope BMan doesn’t go above this new population figure.
    The reasons are ALOT, some of which have already been described here, so I’m not going to bore you with them. But yes, there is a limit, it has been reached.

As someone mentioned in another “unrelated” blog post (the great blog about being miserable on the playa – great, great blog, that dept is a great idea btw): *Let go*