the Temple gets a (big) lift

The Temple started its ascent towards the heavens this morning, as a 120-foot crane arrived and started stacking the component pieces of the main tower.

It was a complicated and delicate operation, and the preparations for it have been long and intense. It’s no casual bit of engineering going on out here. When the gates open, the Temple of Transition will consist of an intricately decorated 12-story tower,  surrounded by five smaller towers. It’s an amazing space being created in an amazing place.

Boom lifts surrounded the main tower, as the huge crane lowered the first piece atop the main tower. The crew adjusted the placement and then made sure it was level before attaching it to the tower base.

From the ground, and framed by one of the openings from another tower, the second story of the central tower was secured into place.

About the author: John Curley

John Curley has been Burning since the relatively late date of 2004, and in 2008 he spent the better part of a month on the playa, documenting the building and burning of Black Rock City in words and pictures. John is a longtime newspaper person and spent many years at the San Francisco Chronicle, where he was a deputy managing editor in charge of Page One and the news sections of the paper. Since leaving the Chronicle in 2007, he was a contributing editor on Blue Planet Run, a book about the world's water crisis, and for the past two years has been a lecturer at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism. He has also started an event and editorial photography business, and is also working on a book about the "Ten Dollar Doc" from Arco, Idaho, which will make a lovely film someday.

13 thoughts on “the Temple gets a (big) lift

• I read that it is so large that people have been worried it might overshadow the other installations in that area of the playa, as some people felt Basura Sagrada did in ’08. I have to disagree though, the Temple of Transition looks so natural on the playa in that first photo… It’s going to be perfect. :) Kudos to the temple crew!

• At least this “overshadowing” will be in a more balanced spot at 12:00, and is a beautiful Temple. Being at 12:00 will promote balance to the open playa. The only thing I worry about is it being so big and beautiful that it will become a louder place. This is Quiet Camp, peeps! :) I AM SO EXCITED !!

• I can only hope (and pray) this temple doesn’t get spray tagged like the Temple of Flux did last year. What a beautiful creation, I can’t wait to see it live :-)

• 12 stories? Wow…kudos my partner and the rest of the volunteer crew creating an amazing sacred space for all at BRC. May all who enter her doors find the love, solace, peace, and answers they are searching for. And who wouldn’t, with a magnificent structure like the Temple of Transition. I only wish I could be there… Have a great burn everyone.

• @ alaska glacier Last year’s was tagged because those flat climbable surfaces were just too tempting. I’m glad I got some pix Monday night when it was still pristine. Previous temples did not get tagged and this one matches those in general

• his name is Lee Ward, had clients siinttg there with him in his office.All I needed to do was give him my credit card number so he could hold a31,399 from it just incase I delayed in sending the the documents for the new owners!!Ofcourse, I smelled a rat!! I told him I don’t use cards or cheques.He’s calling me again today to see if I’ve talked my husband into using HIS card for the transaction.i’m going to have a bit of fun with Lee Ward when he rings today!!Another name within Excalibur is Sally Hansen, she contacted me the day before Lee Ward, to see if I wanted to sell my CCConcierge, I said I did then wham! Lee’s on the phone with buyers in his office the next day.I was duped by CCConcierge into paying out a35,000 a few short years ago, money down the drain as far as I’m concerned ..it’s not going to happen a second time!!!