February 2nd, 2011  |  Filed under Culture (Art & Music)

Free To Be You & Larry

February 2nd, 2011  |  Filed under Culture (Art & Music)

Here’s a little fable about a favorite playa photo and thoughts about Kickstarter, a fundraising tool that is gaining popularity among Burners.

Love,

Halcyon )’(

**NOTE: I AM NOT AN OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF BURNING MAN. I am merely a 13-year Participant with a passion for the event, people, and principles of Burning Man. Half-baked ideas & views expressed aren’t necessarily those of the Burning Man organization.” **

13 Responses to “Free To Be You & Larry”

1. John "Halcyon" Styn Says:

Just as soon as I posted this, ‘The People of Burning Man’ book got funded through it’s Kickstarter.com campaign. See!? It works! So exciting to see community creation supporting itself. <3

2. Paul Caridad Says:

I’m a huge kickstarter fan. There were so many sites that popped up in the past that tried to do the same thing as kickstarter and they never quite took flight. So happy to see that kickstarter took flight! Love that burners are using it so much and having success too!

3. John "Halcyon" Styn Says:

http://www.indiegogo.com is another site that works like Kickstarter.com Basically, a project is only funded if the full amount is raised. And people who fund can be given “rewards” at different levels by the project creator.

4. John "Halcyon" Styn Says:

Dadara, the madness behind Dreamyoutopia, have a cool Playa project expiring in 4 days: http://www.indiegogo.com/exchanghibition-bank

5. Spirt Walker Says:

“Didn’t you see anything good along the way?” Just the right whimsy of a deeper thought I was looking for … can I use that in a song!?

Great post Halcyon … thanks!

:D

6. Jason Says:

“A destination is merely an excuse for motion. And then allow the adventure to begin. And then allow yourself to be pulled into whatever miracles await on the Playa or anywhere. ”

Great great words and way of thinking John. I have watched a whole bunch of your videos and never fail to come away with some new thought that ends up sticking with me.

Hope to meet you someday. Maybe even on the Playa this year which will be my virgin year.

7. Nancy Says:

John, I just want to add my thanks for sharing your thoughts, insights and advice on your videos. I keep stumbling upon them all over the place as I prepare for my VIRGIN Playa experience!

Nancy
    Seattle

61 years old – I think it’s about time to let the kid out to play, don’t you? ;~)

8. John "Halcyon" Styn Says:

@Spiritwalker – Thank you!
    @Jason – I hope we cross paths! I’ll be at Pink Heart. :)
    @Nancy – Yay! Playtime!

9. Epiphany Starlight Says:

I love this wonderfully creative, and inspiring Burner Family. We rock a new consciousness, and it thrills my soul.

10. Reno Sparks Says:

Sooooo, fluffy, and precious.

11. Reno Says:

What a wonderful portrayal of the way LH smokes. Everything he does has such profound meaning. Kind of like the Dalai Lama with a hat and many much more enlightened followers like you and I.

12. Sydney "Mama Karma" Chandler Says:

Last year was my first Burn and it was wonderful. Love your videos. The one about gifting was so helpful and gave my spirit a huge lift. I especially like the one about showering behind the water truck. I think I saw you there but didn’t want to poke a total stranger so I held back. Did that once. The guy was really cool about it. He looked just like a friend of mine from the back/side! This year I’m gonna look you up. :o)

13. Sydney "Mama Karma" Chandler Says:

Nancy from Seattle you’re just gonna love it. This will be my second and I’ll be there every year as long as I can still move. lol I’m 65 and there are lots of others in our age group who attend every year. I don’t have a red hat but I do wear purple. :o) And I don’t view age as a number. It’s an attitude!