Burning Man’s charitable donations for 2010

Every year since 2003, Burning Man has used proceeds from ice sales at the event to make year-end donations to various charitable, art and service organizations in Northern Nevada and the San Francisco Bay Area. For 2010, we worked to increase the total dollar amount of our donations, committing a total of $159,850 for the year. On the heels of the recent news about the closure of the US Gypsum plant in Empire,  we gave special consideration to those charities that benefit the people and communities of Northern Nevada.

Below is a list of charitable donation recipients for 2010:

Black Rock Arts Foundation
Black Rock Solar
Best Friend’s Animal Society (in memoriam Bill Carter)
The Crucible
Yick Wo School
Lawyers for Burners c/o Trip Knight
Leave No Trace
Surprise Valley Chamber of Commerce (Cedarville)
Nimby
Circuit Network
Dogpatch Neighborhood Association
Nevada Organizations
Gerlach Volunteer Fire Department
Gerlach High School
Gerlach Gen. Improve. Dist.
Gerlach-Empire Senior Citizens Palace
COUNTY CHARITIES
Pershing County Government General Fund
PRIVATE CHARITIES
Pershing County Senior Center
Eagle Scholarship
Pershing County Community Center
Pershing County High School (Athletic Department)
Pershing County Domestic Violence Intervention
Lovelock Little League Association
Lovelock Chamber of Commerce
Pershing County Arts Council
Safe Haven Animal Sanctuary
Project Graduation

About the author: Andie Grace

Prior to her 2012 retirement from the staff of Burning Man, Andie Grace was a member of the Burning Man Executive Committee and the manager of the Communications Department and the Regional Network - in plain English, that means she went to an inordinate number of meetings. Her staff bio is here.

18 thoughts on “Burning Man’s charitable donations for 2010

• Kudos to Burning Man’s continual support in the region. I am always amazed by the generosity of the organization! Thanks for being a great partner to northern Nevada.

• @HK – I agree with you that the politics of the Boy Scouts organization are offensive and exclusionary, but for a boy growing up in a rural community (there’s not too much going on in Lovelock) it can still be a great way to learn to get along with children, take responsibility, and care for your community. Let’s focus our energy on creating more opportunities for kids and supporting the ones they have.

• I personally would love to see the Boy Scouts removed from the list and 4-H clubs placed in their stead. The 4-H Foundation embraces most of the same ideals as our community. Radical self reliance, tolerance, acceptance, community service, and civic responsibilities. There are a huge number of programs with in organization each designed to teach useful skills, along with useful life skills. Anything that can be taught in the Scouts, along with, agriculture, art, sciences, and humanity.

Boy Scouts reach so few children after exclusionary factors are figured in. Religion, sexual orientation, gender, geographic and financial limitations, Boy Scouts are very expensive, with little resources devoted toward children in need. I just feel like this organization needs to go away.

• I was pleased to see the many places the money goes. I’m a grate full person no a complainer. Thank you for including so many. I’ve lived in a very small hi-desert town once and know the thrill of extra money coming in for fire department and ect.

• Babelfish translation of nanostand’s posting:
    Not into the theme, but I recently looked remarkable documentary [relaks] film “the universe by the eyes of telescope Hubble”. There is on [torrentakh]. I advise for raising the mood. It gladdens eyes. It is honest.

• Giving to Boy Scouts is like saying you hate Jim Crow but will go ahead and sit at that segregated lunch counter anyway.
    That BS pales in comparison to the piddly amount given to NV organizations–$159,000 in 2010, $156,000 in 2009, $64,000 in 2008. Out of $12-$14 million in overall expenditures. Oh yeah, and nothing to NV org’s prior to 2008.
    We ain’t the brightest bulbs on the tree here in NV, but thems chicken scratch folks!

• As a national organization, yes, BSA apears to be offensive and exclusionary, but forcing the organizationg to accept people and ideas it disagreas with is a violation of the first amendment and the free assocation clause. No different than forcing a christian church to accept a rabi as it's religious leader.
    Ultimaty, it comes down to the individual troop and it's leaders on whom to accept. There were several scouts in my troop that came out of the closet and were treated no diferent than anyone else. The same for the athiest. Was my troop progresive? I duno, I don't think we cared…

• The Boy Scouts taught me to serve others and  to help other people at all times, I learned how to be self-reliant in difficult situations. My troop was wildly inclusive and rabid about Leave No Trace.  As far as I'm concerned, the scouts taught me how to be a good burner.
    I often ask the same question; "was my troop progressive?"  The fact is that it doesn't matter because it's a comparative assessment.  My troop (like so many things) was the way it was because of the individuals who got involved.
    In any case, I think the donation is brilliant. Bridge the gap. There are future burners learning to tie knots right now everywhere.

• I have mixed feelings about the Boy Scout thing. They’ll have to come around to the new world eventually, just like everybody else. But probably it is a good place to donate money.

What I’m wondering about is the donation to the high school “athletic department.” Wouldn’t a donation to the school be better, they could distribute it to all departments.

It is a wonderful thing to do for the whole community and BM has every right to be proud of this.