January 20th, 2009  |  Filed under Participate!

Bring It! Join the Effort …

January 20th, 2009  |  Filed under Participate!

As our world takes a change for the better on this day, we offer you an opportunity to heed the call to participate in our mutual betterment.

A little backstory: a group of Burners, including Burners Without Borders volunteers, were invited to come and set up a booth at the 2008 Bonnaroo music festival, and naturally, their established intent was to encourage the immediacy of direct participation through personal interactions.

As part of this effort, they created a gigantic nylon banner, which displayed what was deemed the “Bring It! Pledge”. Bonnaroo attendees were invited to sign their name to this banner, committing themselves to taking an active role in making ours a better world. And you will note that some committed themselves with particular exuberance. ;-)  The pledge reads:

“I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, I will be a badass from now on.”

Bring It! Banner

Bring It! Banner

Today, we invite you to sign your own name to this pledge by submitting a comment to this post. Join us in this effort.

60 Responses to “Bring It! Join the Effort …”

1. markamerica Says:

2. harayz Says:

i will, i promise.

3. Erica Says:

I do. I will. I AM.

4. Flower Alex Duke Says:

5. penguin Says:

6. Yo Jessi Mac Says:

I plan to assert myself in the best way possible. Even if it’s a struggle, I will start each day off with a smile, because I have a lot to live for and a lot of positivity to see and share with myself, my dog, and you! and everyone else! Community is the foundation of society, considering the environment first is the foundation of my roots, and embracing the arts of many sorts is the best gift anyone could endure. I pledge to be a super burner badass in the past, present and future!

7. LokiStarre Says:

I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, I will be a badass from now on. Til the day I lay down forever, I promise.

8. Ken Lemoine Says:

I have always lived this creed. It is who I am. I pledge to continue to follow this creed and more importantly, to share it wih others so that it will become universal. Enlisting the help of others is the only way to ensure that this creed will continue to live long after I have have passed.

Let’s work together and build an entire civilization of badasses who are committed to saving the world.

9. Rel Says:

Yep, I will be a badass from now on and live by the Bring It pledge!!!

10. Christina Says:

Always bringing it. Helping others has been my goal over the last two years. It’s my passion.

“Conviction is worthless unless it is converted into conduct.” — T. Carlyle”

11. Tina Says:

12. Omen Says:

13. weeeebs Says:

…and I promise to say ‘Badass’ more often!

14. chadD Says:

wyrd. om :)

15. DeleLama Says:

So let it be written, so let it be done!

16. simon of the playa Says:

you bet your bippy i will….

17. Hawkmeister Says:

Hell yes, I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, I will be a badass from now on. It’s time to live an authentic life!

18. Cabe Says:

19. shushan Says:

gotta do it!!! gotta make a little more effort each day and strive to reach out and improve self and world… what else is life really about after all but growth of spirit?

20. Maya Paris Says:

Going to be a virtual-world Badass Burner again this year at the Second Life Regional Burn. Great way to participate for those of us who can’t make it to the US.

And yes i promise…all of the above:)

21. Dr. Jeanine Austin Says:

I plan to assert myself by demonstrating compassion to all in every way possible. In order to assuage suffering I know that if I extend radical compassion to all, putting love energy in action, that the world will change exponentially.

22. Miss Treat Says:

Woo-hoo! I already DO!

23. Somo Says:

I try to bring it every day with every conscious decision and action. Thank you for supporting and reminding me how to it should be brought. See in you in 205 days.

24. Nathaniel Says:

Most definitely!

“You must be the change you want to see in the world”
    -Gandhi

25. Eve ML Says:

Yes! I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion as much as I can in all that I do! I will do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, working for social justice, greening the planet, etc., etc., and of course, I will be a badass activist burner from now on!

26. erny Says:

yes,i promise and to promote love!

27. Cassie Gardener Says:

I am. You are. We are. Let’s be.

28. Ashley Gibson Says:

29. Allison Eskridge Says:

past.present.future

30. Rachel Rose Says:

god reading that out loud feels so good!

31. Alien Says:

“I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation and unlimited includsion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet or some other means, I will be a badass from now on.”

Peace, Love and Happiness. You betcha!!

32. berryessamom Says:

“I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation and unlimited includsion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet or some other means, and I promise I will be a badass from now on.”

33. Rev. Sandip Kumar Says:

Staying busy Being the Change… Onward & Upward!

34. Joycee Says:

been a badass for a long time. been doing the rest completely consciously for only about three months now, and i love the way it is changing my world. hell yes! i will assert myself, i will apply my myriad talents, i will express myself, i will participate, i will include my fellow humans in my life, my creativity, my expression, our community, our planet, our futures entwined and dancing forever forward. amen.

35. Teal Says:

WOW! What a proclamation.

Ken Lemoine and Nathaniel took the word right out of my mouth, but I have a few more.

Start local, but think global, as we are all connected.

We have to dance, shout, protest, love and care for the earth and each other like no one is watching, but trust that they are.

Let go of Fear, EVOLVE! Now is the time, and there is none of it to waste.

Peace and success on the journey to all you badasses past, present and future,

Teal

36. Blue Says:

This is such a great proclamation, and such great work. Building community, on top of the foundation of radical self-reliance, is the way through.

37. Poca Says:

Let’s do this, folks!

38. Hunnybear Says:

This sums up why I love burners and it’s a community, not just a festival or scene. Thanks.

And oh yeah. Count me in of course!

39. Mindy the Great Says:

:-) Yay Burning Man!

The Red Door art project.

40. Jatnna Says:

YES yes I do I will I pledge to be, to do, to say, to work :) BADASS FOREVER!!haha!!

41. Chiefsa Says:

“I will assert myself and apply my myraid talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self expression, immediate participation, an unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through buiding community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, I will be a badass from now on.

42. Ted Chapman Says:

Even though I have a grade III brain tumor…

Each day is a unique and beautiful gift, do not squander it!

43. GitanEros Says:

“I will faithfully assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of appropriately radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means,
    I shall be a badass forever more…”

‘Yeahhh!!! Bring it on!’ Quoth the raven…

44. Rio deJarnett Says:

I will continue to assert myself… to make the able more able, to gain more freedoms for the individuals on this planet that have an ability to accomplish a sane existence for all life here, and to PARTY like a Rockstar at the ’09 BURN.
    faithfully submitted, Dr. D AKA Rio

45. Bones Says:

I will remember why I am here. I honor the pledge, and thank you for presenting it.

46. Psyteknology Says:

WOOHOO!! )’(

47. Lisa Genasci Says:

I will be mindful of my footprint.

48. Kat Drew Says:

Absolutely 100% pretty much sums up the way I have been living myself recently anyway, you guys rock, it’s fantastic that there are more and more people actually MAKING THINGS HAPPEN and not just talking about it. The more we keep spreading this the more people will get on board. The world is improving, we are making it happen. Stick with it folks, always positive. Big love x

49. Sandie Says:

Peace

50. dyslexia Says:

I will assert myself and apply my myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether I do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, I will be a even more of a badass from now on!

51. mark beckner Says:

well only pass thru here once, i commit to leaving this inhabitance better than when I arrived. I believe(I) that things were better back when! I charish the thought that i can be proactive enough to reestablish that <3. environments, relationships,children,all that is true …. i refuse to be a lemming or sheeple, I know what the end result is! And I dont even like the Jones’. its only stuff you cant take it with you. relations with others is our only real legacy. I do commit to do all that can be done to make this orb a better place.
    MatterDoes!

52. peter hugo mcclure Says:

Greetings…i am an Independent Artist based near Penzance in Cornwall and on mid summers day shall be “burning” all images that i have in stock in my studio in Trewellard including paintings, sketches, photos etc…this event i shall describe as “A Mcclure Raku” and shall be a single firing…an offering to the Gods of Fire…an example of the concept of the ephemaral nature of things that truly matter and an antidote to the highly commercial (and sick) procurement of ART as just another commodity to speculate with…Like true Raku, Mandalas, Kolams, Talismans and all things Sacred they cannot be sold to the highest bidder…
    My Work can be viewed prior to the BURNING every wedensday from mid day to 7pm and please do not insult me by offering money for any of my work…you are welcome to peruse…

Snowing pink blossom
    Ravens grubbing for worms…
    This wet May morning

Best regards pete mcclure.

53. Lappy Says:

I’m not sure just how much of the radical self-reliance I’m actually capable of. Still a bit unclear on the meaning. But I am doing my best to keep my mouth shut….more.

Gotta start somewhere.

See yall on the playa.

Lappy

54. NINJA Says:

So let it be written, so let it be done!

55. Lauren Says:

I will, starting now. : )

56. Shaman and KK Says:

We will assert ourselves and apply our myriad talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising self-expression, immediate participation, and unlimited inclusion. Whether we do this through building community, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or some other means, we will be Burner badasses today, tomorrow, and forever. We pledge to share this with our camp mates, our Burner ‘children’, the citizens of BRC, and citizens of the world wherever we roam! The countdown starts…

57. Jim V AKA 2L (Tool) Says:

We will assert ourselves and apply our myriad of talents toward the achievement of radical self-reliance, uncompromising and unbelieavable self-expression, immediate participation upon arival, and unlimited inclusion. Whether we do this through building community, making lifelong friends, advancing the arts, aiding disaster relief, gifting alternative energy, greening the planet, or by some other means, we will be badass’s from now on.

Get there, party, work, party, meet, party, enjoy, party, clean up, party, disapear.

The Dirt Pickles

58. peter hugo mcclure Says:

Greetings…six months have past since i last made a comment here and in that time i have not painted any pictures…i have been reflecting and writing a few words and here is a small sample:

For the sun…the earth..the rain…
    And all living things

The shear joy of it
    A young girl dancing, skipping…
    And catching rain-drops

What am i doing?
    Too busy doing nothing…
    To do any-thing

These short dark days
    The flowers are few…but the leaves…
    They are every-where

With a beaming face
    Clutching a bit of Autumn…
    Dried leaves for the Home

Ah! and i thought
    It was morning…the full moon
    High in the night sky

Best regards pete mcclure.

59. Buffalo Spirit Says:

…with every fiber, in every way, for everyone!

60. Madeline Morgan Says:

Tom Cruise have dyslexia and yet he is still a very successful actor..*’