First Timer? Start Here

Greetings from your friendly Burning Man Web Team …

We wanted to let you know that we’ve recently updated our First Timer’s Guide on the website, which is an ideal resource for getting newbies oriented as they undertake the thrilling process of heading to their first Burn. Remember your first time? Whether you’re a Burning Man first-timer yourself, or know one who could use a primer, head over there … it’s a great place to start.

About the author: Will Chase

Will Chase first attended Burning Man 2001. He volunteered as the Operations Manager for the ARTery (Black Rock City’s art headquarters) and was on the Burning Man Art Council from 2003-2008. He was Web Team Project Manager and Webmaster from 2004-2009, then transitioned to the Communications Department in 2009 to become Minister of Propaganda, working on global communications strategy. He's the editor-in-chief for the Jackrabbit Speaks newsletter and the Voices of Burning Man blog, and content manager for Burning Man’s websites. He also manages the ePlaya BBS and Burning Man’s social networking efforts.

27 thoughts on “First Timer? Start Here

• hey gang hi detroit proj tream..its me Thor ..listenm i got tapped on my back nby thwe cisco bug so now im into the prepwork of cisco ..i need a study group
    to help me along the way and want to get an idea of whats it all about … i m me back anyone with info obn a study grup..ohh by the way im in Detroit with the Motor City Blight Busters ……… Peace!!!!!!!!

THOR!!

• I am a “Bottler” . I love what happens in the mountains above the Santa Barbara.

What got real old, real fast at LIB, was peeps coming up and starting off by saying “You a Burner, You a Burner? I’m a Burner. I’ve been ___ times. (All were 3 or more. One guy went all the way back to the beach in SF.

I am so sure that Burning Man is the coolest and I hope to go someday, but if eveything breaks down into LA Style self absorbed camps that are defined by “How many trips have you made to the Man” or “You can’t possibly be as cool as me because I have been to Burning Man ____ (fill in the blank).

I am old and I saw this kind of circling the wagons or defining my Kewl index in the ’60’s and ’70’s and I didn’t like it then. Art doesn’t divide, it is our common language.

Like Dude, I think a message needs to go out to the Burners that like the Bottlers, our mutual sh*t stinks.

With Love

Urban

• Hey everybody.
    I’m a real newbie from Germany ;) I would like to go to Burning Man 2010.
    I’m still saving money for it :) Would like to know if somebody could tell me ’bout groups or something I can join to. English or German-speaking would be great. Thank you in antcipation for helping me!

• hallo Green_Fairy!

tolle entscheidung, nach BRC zu fahren!
    anschluß an die deutsche burnergemeinde findest Du über die deutschsprachige Euroburners Diskussionsliste: wuestengefluester here: wuestengefluester (at) euroburners.org oder Du kontaktierst mich: burner here: burner (at) gmx.com.

auf bald!
    Frank

• Urban, your concerns are interesting. On the playa, however, by and large it isn’t like that at all. There may be some groups who prefer to “circle the wagons” just as when most people go to a campground, they don’t necessarily want random strangers wandering through their belongings or beer coolers pulling up chairs around their campfire. The art is out there for everybody, though, and nobody’s ever asked me how many times I’ve been except for in simple conversation.

In fact, veterans generally -embrace- first-timers who have read the survival guide and prepared accordingly, and greatly enjoy participating in the sense of awe and wonderment that “virgins” rightfully feel. With that many people there’s certainly some degree of “it was better last year” snobbery, particularly in camps that -depend- on everybody working as an experienced team for their art, but, that’s by far the exception to the rule.

As soon as you hear somebody say “Burning Man is like…” you know they’re wrong; It’s not like anything else. Not spring break, not Mardi Gras, not a Rainbow Gathering… Burning Man is what participants MAKE it and if you go there with the idea that it’s your first time, you’re prepared and you’re going to participate, you will find a place there to succeed. No B.S.

• My name is Cat. Me and my friends have ran into a small bump in the road. We have our ticket but need a ride from NY to the burn. Rentals are expensive and neither of us have a license. We have money to throw down on gas- but don’t know any one local that is also going. We are from Albany ,NY. Any one have any ideas for us????

• I am another newbie who wants to sort out 2 tickets to burning man 2010 as a suprise for someones 40th. Has anyone ever been on the green tortoise tour or know any other organised tours?

Will be coming from the UK via San Francisco… Barely even know where to start!

• Green Tortoise is the only authorized bus out there, and it is a sweet deal. Most travelers on it are from out of country. I went to my first burn with them this year, and will be going with them again next year. The food is great, they have a nice art car to get around, and all the workers are awesome. Staying in the tortoise hostel in San Francisco is also great.

• Thanks Drew, I am going to book as soon as it is available for next year. I emailed them but got no response yet so hoping to get it done sooner rather than leter as Bday is in Jan….

• Am from India. Have been reading about it and always desired to be there. Now I am ready for 2010. What are the dates. I need to plan accordingly.
    I need the dates, dos and donts, photography norms and best way to have a great experience? Pls help
    Ray